Alan Gammel, CFP
Certified Financial Planner™
Professional Focus and Services
As your financial advisor I provide competent, personalized financial advice regarding Investments, Risk Management, Tax Planning, Retirement Planning and Estate Planning for socially aware clients looking for a way to match their investments and their values. I partner with clients, both individuals and organizations, to provide the opportunity for socially responsible investing (SRI) with competitive returns while producing positive and sustainable global change.
Complimentary Financial Review
I offer a no-cost, no-obligation introductory meeting where we can get to know each other a little. The purpose is to share and understand expectations for the planning relationship and to review your financial goals and social values. We will have an honest discussion about what SRI is and is not, then start to develop a plan to move forward together.
Your Choice of Services
My services can be readily separated into three categories. While the majority of clients work with me for a fee, based on an annual percentage of assets managed, I also consult on an hourly basis for financial planning and analysis. Occasionally, looking at life or health insurance may be appropriate as well. Fees are flexible and tailored to your needs, as different circumstances call for different solutions. No matter which approach is chosen, all costs are laid out and compared clearly.
Note: I happily offer reduced fees for people affiliated with social justice organizations or involved in similar work.
Financial Planning and Investment Management
We may work together on a broad array of topics and challenges, ranging from investment and asset allocation to more comprehensive financial planning issues. My services include:
- Analysis of your current investments and possible alternatives
- Risk assessment and asset allocation
- Retirement planning for individuals
- Group retirement plans for small businesses and not-for-profit organizations
- Estate planning and philanthropy
- Life and Long Term Care insurance for individuals and groups
You will also benefit from strategic relationships with a widespread network of skilled professionals, including money managers, proxy voting services, shareholder advocacy specialists, charitable giving account services, community investing management, insurance consultants, tax advisers and estate planning specialists.
Recent academic and institutional studies show that by integrating sustainability, responsibility, and transparency criteria, prudent investors can gain an advantage managing diversified portfolios. The strategies coordinated for clients include the following:
- Integrating environmental, social, and governance criteria along with traditional financial investment management. These time-tested, long-term strategies can support a better investment experience.
- Shareholder advocacy activities which aim to address human rights abuses, climate crisis, and other challenges of the day.
- Proxy voting policies and services that support sensible environmental, social, and governance shareholder resolutions.
- Allocating a portion of portfolios to community investment notes funding microfinance, affordable housing, small business, fair trade, and job creation.
Investments and finance are constantly evolving. Participating in networks committed to socially responsible and sustainable investing is one way that I keep my skills and knowledge fresh.
- Investment Advisory Representative: First Affirmative Financial Network, LLC
- Member: Social Investment Forum and Green America
Specializing in helping individuals, families, and institutions participate in the sustainable investing movement, I am also a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the certification marks CFP®,
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ and in the U.S., which it awards to individuals who
successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
Education and Experience
- Started in financial services in 1979, first securities licensed in 1984.
- CFP® Certificant since 1996
- BA, Sociology, PhillipsUniversity, Enid,Oklahoma
- MBA, Finance, Seattle University, Seattle,Washington
- Series 66 and Washington State Life and Health Insurance License
I believe strongly in economic, racial and environmental justice, which are at the forefront of efforts to create a sustainable and just world where people matter as much as profits do. I have been a volunteer with the Institute of Cultural Affairs since 1976 and a qualified trainer with the ToP Trainer Network since 1993. An active member of my local church, I have been a member of many committees and worked on many projects over the years.
Overarching and underlying realities affect our living in the midst of time, space and eternity.… By the relationships we take to "this, that and the other," we choose ourselves, our own identity. Our freedom lies solely in our choosing the relationships we take to the other, all others and, in Barthian terms, "the Wholly Other." ~Jim Wheeler, "Prescient Times and the Living Archives," p. 9, 7/4/10
Investment Advisor Representative of First Affirmative Financial
First Affirmative is an Independent Registered Investment Advisor (SEC File #801-56587).