Kathy Stearns, CFP®, AIF®
Certified Financial Planner™ and Accredited Investment Fiduciary®
Arc Advisers, LLC
Aligning Personal Finances with Goals and Values
Professional Focus and Services
My mission is to help people manage their personal finances so they are comfortable with where they are, where they are going, and what their money is doing. I help people align their financial lives with their goals, priorities and values.
Through our work together people discover that they can use their money and investments to prepare for their own future and to support issues that are important to them. They clarify their own life priorities and identify strategies for reaching personal goals. Their investments are managed to produce the returns and security they need, and to reflect issues they care about, like the environment, communities, and corporate responsibility.
Three beliefs guide my work:
- Personal wealth and security are much more than income and assets.
- People can earn competitive returns by investing in enterprises that contribute to a clean, healthy environment, treat people fairly, embrace equal opportunity, and produce safe and useful products.
- Individuals and families need access to affordable financial planning services and advice to meet their goals and secure their future.
My clients are individuals, families, and unmarried couples. I
work with people in the Boise area as well as those located
throughout the United States (and overseas).
My fees are established up-front and may be flat, hourly, or a percentage of assets. My practice is fee-only and I earn no commissions.
Products and Services
- Planning: I work closely with each person to develop a plan that addresses their specific challenges and personal goals. I try to help people get where they want to go in life, recognizing that the journey is as important as the destination. Plans cover issues such as cash flow, taxes, preparation for retirement or career change, financing college or time off, insurance, estate planning and asset allocation. Each plan includes a detailed list of specific recommendations.
- Implementation: I help implement recommendations by, for example, obtaining quotes for insurance as needed and meeting with clients three months after plan completion to review progress on recommendations.
- Investing: I manage investments through First Affirmative Financial Network, an independent Registered Investment Advisor with more than $500 million under management that serves socially conscious investors. We assess each person's financial situation and social concerns to develop a personalized Investment Policy Statement with a specific portfolio allocation and management strategy. We offer portfolios of mutual funds as well as separately managed accounts.
- Certified Financial Planner™ Since 2011. This designation indicates satisfactory completion of the rigorous education, exam, experience, and ethics requirements of the Certified Financial Planner Board, Inc.
- Accredited Investment Fiduciary® Since 2008. This designation indicates formal training in investment fiduciary responsibility.
- Former board member, Social Investment Forum (SIF).
Education and Experience
Prior to becoming a financial planner, I spent more than 20 years working in the nonprofit sector to increase economic opportunities for disadvantaged populations. My most recent positions at Opportunity Finance Network included Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. Previously, at ACCION International, I established, managed, and consulted with microfinance organizations in Asia, Africa, Latin America, and the U.S. I also worked as a consultant to the Ford Foundation and was a Peace Corps Volunteer.
I have degrees from Duke University and Cornell University, and successfully completed the CFP® Professional Education Program of the College for Financial Planning.
My business reflects my experience as a financial planning client.
The planner delivered a thick document full of irrelevant information and then tried to sell me complicated investments.
After several frustrating meetings I found a fee-only planner who helped me understand my overall financial picture, get appropriate insurance, and organize my investments. I realized how valuable a planner could be to help regular people navigate the financial complexities of life.
Over time, my understanding of my financial situation encouraged me to pursue long-time personal goals, including relocating and starting my own business.
I am committed to helping my clients align their financial lives with their goals, priorities, and values.
Kathy Stearns is an Investment Advisor Representative of First Affirmative Financial Network, LLC . First Affirmative Financial Network is an independent Registered Investment Advisor (SEC File #801-56587). First Affirmative is not an affiliate or subsidiary of Arc Advisers. Arc Advisers is not a Registered Investment Advisor with the SEC.
The credentials CFP® and AIF® listed above bear trademarks.